May 11, 2010

Courage is

Courage is taking a leap
into love

or burdens

Courage is being the best woman I can be
the best partner I can be
the best Mother I can be
and not apologizing for not being better

*******

Are you new here? Do you need some more information about all these goings-on? Check out the sidebar. Everything you need to know is over there!

Also, please bear with us as we catch up from yesterday on comments and replies. MAN OH MAN did you hit us hard–we are excited and grateful and overwhelmed. Five for Ten was a glorious thing the first time around, and now it’s taken on a life of its own.

Please LISTEN TO US NOW: While it is encouraged to read the comments and each other’s blog posts, it is not required. Be selective, click on a few links, do what you can. It is our responsibility to visit YOU, so don’t feel obligated to ignore your life all day and spend it online, leave that to us… heh heh heh.

Read More in Jen Writes, motherhood, three kids
Gale writes

Courage is starting each day
fresh
without the weight
of yesterday’s failures

This reminds me of my favorite line in Anne of Green Gables: “Tomorrow is a new day, fresh, with no mistakes in it.” We are told this as children a lot, but not as adults. Yet it’s still something we need reminding of every day. Each time we brush aside failure to try again we are brave. Every single time.

PS – I’m having trouble getting your widget to display my Courage link. The URL is: http://tendollarthoughts.com/?p=874
.-= Gale´s last blog ..The Redeeming Elements of Stupidity =-.

Sarah replies

Gale, you’re all set with the link. Not sure what the deal is, a few others have had issues linking, but I’ve been able to do it just fine. If there are any more problems just shoot me an email or leave a comment or something and we’ll get it up for you!

Sarah

oh and PS: you are right about “every single time.” even if it’s just the ittiest bittiest things!

I’m copying this and putting it on my desktop to read every day! It’s perfect, really. And starting each day fresh…that’s so hard for me.

Lovely Jen!
.-= Christine LaRocque´s last blog ..Courage =-.

Thank, Christine!

Launa writes

I love your perspective on this gentle and forgiving sort of courage.

Thanks for reminding us of the heroism in our smallest moments. Perhaps somedays we’re not feeling particularly brave, we should remember how much our mere presence reassures our children. We have the magic power to shoo the monsters out of their closets and to help them weather their worst fears.

Nicki writes

Wow! Wonderful!
.-= Nicki´s last blog ..Who in Your Life Has Shown You What Courage Is? =-.

becca writes

Perfect. I will be pulling this up to remind myself of what we as mothers must do each day.
Courage is starting each day
fresh
without the weight
of yesterday’s failures
or hurdles
or burdens

So many days I wake up and wonder how I’ll get up and do it all over again. It does take courage. And it’s worth it.

Beautiful Jen.
.-= becca´s last blog ..The Courage to Live =-.

It is worth it. True true. But so difficult to remember sometimes! (at the end of the day)

momalomsmom writes

A Mama’s Mantra to start the day. Lovely, Peach.
Now to find the courage to write my next post. : )

Thanks, Geege. Don’t tell anyone, but this was a draft I put up there and never had time to revise. Oh well! I guess I practiced the courage to let it GO.

momalomsmom replies

I think the secret’s out. : )

Oh the fear that’s inside is frightful
But this blog is so delightful
There’s nothing that they can’t know, so
Let it go
Let it go
Let it go

lalala

macondo mama writes

Courage is being the best woman I can be
the best partner I can be
the best Mother I can be
and not apologizing for not being better

This is so important and so hard, so very hard. Not only is it courage, but for me it is happiness, knowing that I am being my best. It is fulfillment. Yet sometimes (right now), it feels absolutely impossible to me, at least until I can get a good dose of sleep and recharge, physically and emotionally. I know I could think that I am doing my best given my sleep-deprived reality, but sometimes it’s a fine line between “not apologizing for not being better” and making excuses instead of finding the courage.
.-= macondo mama´s last blog ..8 more random things you might not know about Argentina =-.

Well said. Exhaustion makes everything more difficult. The realities of life. The behind-the-scenes emotions. The self talk. I understand the reality of sleep deprivation. Much of the time I am still right there with you. And it takes a house full of courage to get through these days.

Alisha writes

Beautiful way to start the day this morning. “And not apologizing for not being better.” My husband and a few other friends has recently told me that I apologize way too much. I just have to remember that I’m doing the best I can. Thank you!

How wonderful that your husband can say this to you. I think it’s so easy to fall into the role taking responsibility for things that are absolutely beyond your own control (and thus apologize for failures that aren’t your own). Yes yes yes. We all are doing the best that we can. And we need to support each other in that knowledge and understanding!

Suzicate writes

“Courage is being the best I can be and not apolgizing for being better” – I love this. I think you nailed it.
.-= Suzicate´s last blog ..Freaks, Geeks, And Squeaks =-.

Well, it was easier to write than to live, I think. But maybe now that it’s out there I’ll be able to get there more often! Thanks!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son writes

Courage is forgiving…somethings this is the hardest courage to find, but sometimes the most important.
.-= Allison @ Alli ‘n Son´s last blog ..Totally Random Thoughts =-.

I find that forgiveness is so powerful. To have the courage to truly forgive and, even more, forget has lasting effects that, in the end, have the power to encourage more COURAGE.

Courage is being the best woman I can be
the best partner I can be
the best Mother I can be
and not apologizing for not being better

I love that. And the not apologizing part? Sorta the theme of my courage post!
.-= Liz´s last blog ..The simplest things can sometimes require the most courage =-.

OOh. Can’t wait to read your post, Liz. Trying to be methodical in my Five for Ten duties here. Still catching up on yesterday’s. YIKES! (Oh, and, um, why am I not surprised that we share a theme?)

Amber writes

I tried to find one particular line that stood out to me but, really, they all stood out to me. Courage. I guess we all have it!
.-= Amber´s last blog ..That Was Love =-.

Yes! Grab that courage. Flaunt it! All moms are made of it in one way or another, that’s for sure!

Shawna Cevraini writes

I love this – I’m with Christine – I’m gonna put it up by my dresser as a gentle reminder that today is another day to the best I can be. You have no idea how many times I apologize for not being better. I need to stop doing that! Thank you!
.-= Shawna Cevraini´s last blog ..The Opposite of Courage =-.

C @ Kid Things writes

Thank you. This was the very first thing I’ve read this morning and I thin it’s going to be hard to top.
.-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Courageous =-.

Well, thank YOU!

Kelly writes

The older I get, the harder it becomes to let yesterday lie. Instead, I want to dig it up, comb through it, analyze its flaws. But you’re right, let it stay back where it belongs so we can look forward with fresh, hopeful eyes.
.-= Kelly´s last blog ..Good things =-.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise writes

You’ve managed, so beautifully, so sum up an important idea. Courage doesn’t mean performing a huge feat, or a notable accomplishment. It can be as simple as putting on a brave face when you don’t feel like it, or doing what you need to do, when you might want to run away.
Very nice!
.-= LZ @ My Messy Paradise´s last blog ..Courage. A post about my father. =-.

Sue Campbell writes

I’m loving Five for Ten! Sadly, I’m having trouble getting the widget to accept my link.
Here is my entry for Day 2: http://mommyspen.com/2010/05/11/five-for-ten-courage/

Thanks for doing this! You must be exhausted already!
.-= Sue Campbell´s last blog ..Five for Ten: Courage =-.

Kristen Truong writes

“Courage is forgiving” — my favorite line! Beautiful. Thank you.
.-= Kristen Truong´s last blog ..Hubby 2.0 =-.

Thanks, Kristen. I believe this so deeply!

Rudri writes

What a great way to begin the day. Who knows what this day will bring? Happiness, Disappointment, Tears, Love – but a reminder to have the courage to take a leap, embrace whatever will come, is just what everyone needs.

Thanks so much for this. I love the community on Momalom. You guys ROCK!
.-= Rudri´s last blog ..Diamond Courage =-.

Yes. Who knows? A lot of my days lately have been challenging. Full of broken eyeglasses, trips to the DMV, new (used) car shopping. You get the gist. The little things have been bogging me down, and it’s taking some courage to fight the stress. But all of you wonderful commenters are really helping me see the good things. We’re so glad to have you here!

ShannonL writes

Wow. Just when I thought I was all “couraged-out” from yesterday, I read this and it all seems new again. As others have mentioned, I am going to print this one and read it daily. The loving, the forgiving and forgetting, and just doing the best we can be with no apologies. That’s what we need to do as moms. I LOVE it.
.-= ShannonL´s last blog ..Five for Ten: Supergirl =-.

All couraged out. I love it! I am STILL trying to read everyone’s amazing posts on this topic. And I can’t believe we have FOUR more to GO. My caffeine intake is going to be skyrocketing over the coming days. Thank you, Shannon, for participating and for your generous words. This community is a strong one, and we’re glad to have you aboard.

Privilege of Parenting writes

I just love what you guys have engendered here… it’s helping me find my courage to participate.

Namaste
.-= Privilege of Parenting´s last blog ..Blue Genes =-.

Yes! Have courage! We’re so glad to have YOU here. :)

Launa writes

Thank you for this exceptionally gentle and generous perspective on courage.

When we aren’t feeling so brave, perhaps we should see ourselves as our young children do — as the only people in the world with the power to banish the monsters from the closet and sweep away their worst disasters with tight hug. I love your post, and I love five for ten.
.-= Launa´s last blog ..Provence Rainbow =-.

Yes. Our children. Viewing ourselves through the eyes of our children is so very powerful and simple, really. We’re so glad to have you here, Launa!

Robin writes

Your poetry is so lovely. It’s all summed up in the last line, for me. Whenever I read your writing I am reminded again that I’m really not envious, don’t really want to write as well, because this way I can admire and appreciate and never have that “could I do this? How do I get this good? I’m NOT this good! I’ll NEVER be this good ….” and so on and so on and so on.

Robin, you are far too kind. And I am grateful. So I will courageously just say thank you instead of backing away from your kindness.

Elizabeth @ Life in Pencil writes

This might be the Life in Pencil in me, but it seems to me that what you’re saying is “courage is being present in the now.” There is no harder thing to do. For me, especially, the courage to live each day without being burdened by the failures of yesterday is the hardest. I have a tendency to beat myself up, to drag yesterday into today. I have a hard time letting my mistakes go. Life in Pencil, when I live it well, helps me to work on it one day at a time.
.-= Elizabeth @ Life in Pencil´s last blog ..Courageous Decisions, Courageous Parents =-.

Yes, Elizabeth, Yes. Writing for a blog, for me, is such a different experience than any other kind of writing. I have to have the courage to let things go without perfecting them. And I have to forget about them to an extent, or I’d forever be revising and “updating” and deleting. It’s great writing practice (among other things), and I love that you saw that in this post.

goofdad writes

I tell my wife, and my kids: Please, oh please, learn to say “Thanks for understand I’m not perfect” than “I’m sorry for not being perfect”. I try to practice it myself. I find that often, a well intentioned apology can go a long way … but so can a well timed “Thanks”. It changes the focus and lets people move on.

Thanks for a wonderful poem. You brought tears to my eyes this morning.
.-= goofdad´s last blog ..Defining Courage =-.

Heather of the EO writes

I’m in love with that last line. Amen! :)

“Courage is being the best woman I can be
the best partner I can be
the best Mother I can be
and not apologizing for not being better”

Yes! I think it’s important that we recognize and accept our own limitations to set us free from guilt of failure and of not meeting expectations, which can really hurt us from achieving our Best Self. We will all be better off if we eschewed the idealized perception of ourselves and just work with what we have. We may not think it’s enough because we’re our own worst critics, but often, that’s all that’s needed of us.
.-= Justine´s last blog ..It didn’t feel like courage =-.

Lauren @ Embrace the Detour writes

I keep seeing the word lovely – and while I would like to be original here, the word lovely just fits so perfectly. The last line, of course, is my favorite. The key to it all. Not apologizing for not being better. There is something magic in that, isn’t there? Having the courage to be as much AND AS LITTLE as we actually are. Thanks for this, and for Five for Ten. xoxo

Jenn M writes

I really, really enjoyed reading this. It is an excellent way to start the day–to remind yourself that it takes strength to start every day fresh, and to be secure enough in yourself to realize that you ARE doing the best you can, even when you wish you could do more. Thank you for this!
.-= Jenn M´s last blog ..Without Fear =-.

Lee of MWOB writes

Well this is the first time I have been at Momalom and read Jen! I only know Sarah so hello Jen!

Please don’t even feel pressured to visit me! You have had an amazing response and it’s fun to get involved in such a great idea but I am a low-pressure kinda chick so if I see ya around, right on. If not, it’s all cool.

:-)

Happy Day Two!! Hope you have the courage to face your inbox!! :-)
.-= Lee of MWOB´s last blog ..The Courage to Be Yourself – Princess Bean Says Being YOU Is Cool =-.

Kate writes

I love the last line. Courage is about being your best. Without apology.

Rachel @ MWF Seeking BFF writes

Such a good reminder — to put yesterday’s hurdles and failures behind us. Not so easy, always…. but so important. Even the failures of 10 minutes ago — it can be the big things or the little things. Yesterday I worked all afternoon only to have my computer freeze and lose it all. It took courage not to throw something across the room. Like I said, the little things count too.
.-= Rachel @ MWF Seeking BFF´s last blog ..An Age Old Question =-.

Liz @ Peace, Love & Guacamole writes

Wonderful! I especially love the part about starting each day fresh.

And I would add: to have the courage to press “restart” when you forget to start your day in the right mindset. (Even if that means you’re pressing restart at dinnertime!)
.-= Liz @ Peace, Love & Guacamole´s last blog ..Sunday Grace =-.

Belinda Munoz + The Halfway Point writes

Hi Jen, reading this gives me such a lift this morning! And that last line, I think, should be tattoed in every mother’s/woman’s brain. Regardless of how much we do, it’s what we don’t do that we focus on. Regardless of how well we do things, it’s what we don’t do well that we focus on. We need to stop that. I will try today…

Thank you for this wonderful poem.

Cathy writes

Love the poems you guys do. So succinct. So perfect.

Thanks for putting this together. I am inspired.

Meredith writes

This is perfectly beautiful. I am cutting and pasting (and attributing to JEN) right now. Thank you for this little lift today, and for a shove to go write about a topic that deserves writing. I’m in!
.-= Meredith´s last blog ..Mother’s Day, Sort Of. =-.

soccermom writes

“Courage is being the best woman I can be”
Words to live by. Thank you for such inspiring words today.
.-= soccermom´s last blog ..That Ain’t No damn Doggie Door =-.

corinne writes

I love this, especially the last bit. What would you think about designing a postcard type thing and laminating for all of us to hold onto and remind ourselves that we are fabulous as who we are right now??
Or a bookmark.. you should work for hallmark…
.-= corinne´s last blog ..{Five for Ten} Courage =-.

New here…off to find out more. Love this courage theme!!!

Sarah replies

Welcome, Tiffany.

WackyMummy writes

I like this. Definitely is courage.
.-= WackyMummy´s last blog ..Ducks and Stuff =-.

Michele writes

Courage is not letting the fact that your daughter screams at the sight of you and tells you to go away ruin your day. It’s okay if this morning is a daddy morning. Tomorrow will be mine.

Great post Jen!

I don’t seem to have this kind of courage right now. But I applaud the example, and aspire to be able to let yesterday go, even as today sends another wave to deal with.

I’m always working on the “and not apologizing for being better” part, even if I’m only apologizing to myself. And how interesting that you chose “being” better, not doing better…
.-= Melissa´s last blog ..adventurous =-.

Cindy writes

Perfect! I love it. Now if I could just DO what it says – let the past go, start each day fresh, and stop apologizing for not being better. It’s a work in progress, and i guess I have to have the courage to accept who and what I am right now, while continuing to change and grow. Thanks for putting into words for us all so beautifully!
.-= Cindy´s last blog ..Letting Go =-.

Perfect! I’m always apologizing for not being better. It’s something I really need to work on.
.-= Liz´s last blog ..Taking back my courage =-.

Eva @ Eva Evolving writes

You know what I love about your writing, Jen? How much you say in so few words. It’s just beautiful and so, so powerful. I’m one to ramble, blah blah blah, add some more words and try to describe further. But goodness, I could do so much better to get to the point!!

PS – I’m LOVING this Five for Ten!
.-= Eva @ Eva Evolving´s last blog ..Mother-in-law of steel =-.

terry writes

I love the idea that “Courage is taking a leap.” I never thought of it like that. I’ve thought about this leap when it comes to faith, but never courage.

The leap then becomes trusting yourself to be able to handle the situation that presents itself.

I love this. This is really helpful. Thank you.

Cheryl writes

I just wanted to say that I am SO thankful I found this site just in time to participate. The posts I’ve read so far have all been truly amazing. There are lots of crazy-talented women (and men!) out there.

“Courage is starting each day fresh..”

That’s exactly what I think while lying in bed, reviewing all the ways I failed as a mother that day..Thanks for your beautiful words..
.-= Cheryl´s last blog ..Courage is within all of us =-.

Kristen @ Motherese writes

Like so many of our friends here, the last line of your poem really resonated with me, Jen:

“Courage is being the best woman I can be
the best partner I can be
the best Mother I can be
and not apologizing for not being better”

Especially the not apologizing part. I think I need to hang this on my refrigerator forthwith.
.-= Kristen @ Motherese´s last blog ..Random Acts of Courage =-.

Brittany at Mommy Words writes

The last line is something I alwasy need to remember. The lines before are just beautiful. They are gentle and yet powerful and empowering. Thank you so much.
.-= Brittany at Mommy Words´s last blog ..One Mother’s Courageous Choice =-.