June 14, 2010

All-purpose apology note from my 6-year-old

“I am sorry for that”

I received this note on Sunday afternoon, amidst the fallout of a meltdown by my 6-year-old son. He’s written notes of apology before, and in the past he has been a bit more specific in describing why he is “sare.” Whether he anticipates using this note again or he just ran out of room on the piece of paper to go into detail, I’m not sure. But the fact that he writes me notes makes my heart swell a bit, even while I am trying to get under control my own emotional reaction to his irrational screams.

*****

P.S. This note is a bit reminiscent of at least one previous note I’ve received, don’t you think?

P.P.S. There are still three days to vote for us. Won’t you please visit Nickelodeon and cast your vote?

Read More in Jen Writes, motherhood, three kids, writing
Holly at Tropic of Mom writes

Oh! So sweet.

A true gentlment in training. Hope he holds on to that.
.-= Christine LaRocque´s last blog ..I’m not wishing away the diapers =-.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son writes

Awww, that is really very sweet. He must be truly sorry about something.
.-= Allison @ Alli ‘n Son´s last blog ..Time Alone and Reflection =-.

Oh brother! A WRITTEN note? That must of been on heck of a blowout!

Did he bring flowers and chocolate too?

Notes like that are meant to be kept, cherished and revisited often. We should be as willing to seek forgiveness as children are (at times). Who wouldn’t melt at a note like that? Just precious!
.-= Maria´s last blog ..Adventures in Potty Training: Part 3 =-.

Flowers, occasionally. Chocolate? Not from this boy. He’d eat it all himself. But then, he’s 6.

Rudri writes

Yeah, a written note pulls at the heart strings. When my daughter says I am sorry to me, I get that feeling of guilt and I don’t want to yell at her at least for the next twenty-four hours. With a note, I don’t know how long the honeymoon period would last.
.-= Rudri´s last blog ..A Detour =-.

I know what you mean. He was so remorseful, and then I was, too. Because I just never feel I’m patient enough with him. And that his despair is partly my fault. Sigh.

A general apology for all future mishaps. Efficient and thoughtful. I have to admire that! :)
.-= Justine´s last blog ..This was us 29 months ago =-.

Amy at Never-True Tales writes

Oh, that note tugged at my heart. (And I could read it without the translation on the bottom!)
.-= Amy at Never-True Tales´s last blog ..Writing Q & A with Aidan Donnelley Rowley =-.

Jane writes

So precious! Do you know what I do with those notes? I use them as bookmarks. Little tugs at my heartstrings each time I open my book.
.-= Jane´s last blog ..You Are Cordially Invited To Give A Commencement Address. Any Commencement Address. =-.

Sarah replies

Oh I love the idea of using the notes as bookmarks!

Maureen@IslandRoar writes

What a cute note! They sucker us right in with their sweetness, don’t they?
.-= Maureen@IslandRoar´s last blog ..Beware: Divorced, Middle-aged Woman! =-.

Alex@LateEnough writes

I love the note. And he should definitely use it again. He’s just being green, Mama. Saving the Earth one reusable apology note at a time.
.-= Alex@LateEnough´s last blog ..Summertime and The Livin’s Killin’ Me =-.

Perhaps I should laminate it? Or is that ecologically unsound?

Kristen Truong writes

That is *so* adorable. My kids always have to say “why” they are apologizing (usually spoken, not written). Their favorite “catch-all” apology is “I’m sorry for … ummmm… not listening to momma…?” Of course my sassy 3-year-old has tried “I’m sorry for…aaaahh… NOTHING!”

How about:
“I’m sorry, Mom.”
“For what, B?”
“Um. I don’t remember.”

Leslie writes

I love the green theme here – Jane’s bookmarks, Alex’s “I’m sorry” recycling.
My husband is a big fan of the blanket apology (giving them more than receiving, I think) and would love to reuse a note to the tune of “I’m really sorry for, you know, whatever I did.”
It is so, so much sweeter on a six-year-old!
.-= Leslie´s last blog ..No complaints: Vol. 2-year-old =-.

Jack writes

I think that is a very cool story.
.-= Jack´s last blog ..Exchanging Pleasantries =-.

seekingelevation writes

He should think about selling those. My kids could stand to buy a few.
.-= seekingelevation´s last blog ..Imma tell you a story: Union Correctional Institution =-.

I like it. Maybe an item available at the summertime lemonade stand?

Ah… the issue of apologies. In children, generally sincere. And in adults, all too often, what they deem expedient.
.-= BigLittleWolf´s last blog ..Real Drama: Real Housewives NY Reunion Recap =-.

Oh, how right you are, Wolfie. Now I’m definitely going to save this one, so that I can share it with him when he grows up and forgets how to say “sare.”

Next time I need to say I’m sare, I’m going to use this note as my model! Concise, sincere, and written in green. Perfect.
.-= Stacia´s last blog ..The Hand-Off =-.

SuziCate writes

awe, my heart just melted.
.-= SuziCate´s last blog ..Finding The Voice Within Your Heart =-.

Heather of the EO writes

Love what Alex said. Yes, he’s saving time, and the earth.
.-= Heather of the EO´s last blog ..Moooo. Peeew. =-.

ck writes

That is SO sweet, Jen. I love it.

(And I’ve tried again and again and AGAIN to vote for you guys on that site, but it won’t let me. I feel like a grandmother, yelling at my computer. I’ll keep trying, though.)

Eva @ Eva Evolving writes

This is too much! Hilarious. “That” – perfect word to describe a blowout or meltdown. It’s all-encompassing. Tantrum, tears, yelling, insults, kicking, slamming, biting, whatever.
.-= Eva @ Eva Evolving´s last blog ..“I Don’t Care!” Post-Mortem =-.

angryworkingmom writes

Don’t you love the way the 6 YO brain crafts words!?? It’s hilarity beyond compare! My 6 YO loves to draw graffes (a.k.a. long necked animals with spots) she also loves her sestr (or the little female person who also lives with us). It’s so funny! But seriously I’ve got to get a handle on it 1st grade (and their spelling test are coming)!

Shawna writes

My girls write sorry notes to eachother a lot. I’ve saved some of them because they melt my heart almost as much as the love notes that they write eachother.
Another beautiful post!
.-= Shawna´s last blog ..Tuesday =-.

Ali writes

I love this. I was at Teresa’s this weekend and her 9-year-old wrote an encrypted apology note. Luckily she broke the code and he was released from his room.

Liz @ Peace, Love & Guacamole writes

Adorable. And I LOVE the ancient note from Sarah too!
.-= Liz @ Peace, Love & Guacamole´s last blog ..Obi-Wan and Obama-Wan? =-.

Amber writes

That is AWESOME! Did you teach him to do that?
.-= Amber´s last blog ..A Stranger’s Kindness =-.

Linda at Bar Mitzvahzilla writes

I always feel like such a tyrant when I get a written apology even though they’re the ones who think of it! I figure it must be due to the nature of the transgression, right? My son, 14, now writes me these long-winded, excuse-laded apologies ending with the irrefutable idea that I have to forgive him because he’s my only son. Nice.
.-= Linda at Bar Mitzvahzilla´s last blog ..By Any Other Name =-.

Mrs.Mayhem writes

So sweet. I love getting notes from my kids. My daughter is great about writing love notes. Although my oldest son’s specialty used to be hate mail. He would write a note in anger and drop it down the staircase while he was in his room for a timeout.

Gibby writes

Almost better than a love note…
.-= Gibby´s last blog ..After The Rain =-.

Cranky Sarah writes

That’s sweet-funny. I think you only have to worry about it being non-specific if he takes it back and stashes it away for the next time HAHA!
.-= Cranky Sarah´s last blog ..The passing of a friend =-.