June 9, 2010

Glimpse. Pause. Reflect.

I like this photo because it brings me right back to that trip to Maine, 11 years ago. The trip that Sweetie planned from start to finish. Every detail taken care of. An inn with a huge jacuzzi. Bike trails and a place to rent bikes. Bookstores to explore.

I like this photo because just by looking at myself looking out at the water here, adjusting my cap, I also remember the sunset we shared and so many other details of that trip, like the fact that I was still eating fish then, and did, sitting across from my Sweetie, at an outdoor restaurant on a muggy August night.

I like this photo because it is a photo that Sweetie took. A rare occasion. I remember having just taken a picture of him. And he asking me for the camera. And there I am. Here I am. Smiling. Celebrating my 27th birthday that long weekend. And mourning the sudden death of my father only weeks before.

I like this photo because it reminds me of who I was before now. Of how Sweetie and I built what we now have. Of all that came before and how crucial it all is to what we are now. To who we are. Even the moments I have forgotten. Or thought I had forgotten.

I like this photo because my heart swells now just as it did then. A response to a moment shared. And, now, to a love continued, grown more mature and more complicated.

I like this photo because it captures me. Then. And, in a way, now.

Read More in Jen Writes, three kids
Kim Luu writes

I love the picture. It reminds me of Alaska as well near Juneau.

What a great shot.
.-= Kim Luu´s last blog ..Book Review: Women of True Grit =-.

I love that this fphoto inspires you so and that you share that with us!
.-= Christine LaRocque´s last blog ..Budding buddies and all that is sibling =-.

If I ever looked that thin in a photo, I’d cherish it, too! I jest. Sort of. You look lovely, and it’s a delicious memory.
.-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog ..Minted Watermelon and Lemon Ice Pops =-.

Jane writes

Such a great photo. I like this photo, too! Relaxed, happy, appreciative, hopeful. That’s what it says to me.
.-= Jane´s last blog ..Sit Back. Enjoy the Show. My New Mantra. =-.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son writes

I love snapshots of the past and all of the memories they bring.
.-= Allison @ Alli ‘n Son´s last blog ..Chugga, Chugga, Choo-Choo! =-.

I didn’t know about this trip. Or this picture. Probably because I was wrapped up in my own numbing ball of grief. But I love this trip. And this picture. Oh this picture. In my mind you aren’t in Maine but up at Lake George, a little closer to home. But then I think about the fact this was so near after Dad died, and I imagine that being just a little farther away, but in nature, was a special place to be. Some distance from it all, yet coming back home in a way–you know, cause nature, lakes and mountains always make me feel like that.

ShannonL writes

I love this picture, too. It looks like you are adjusting your cap, ready to take on the world! The background is amazing and you just seem to be taking it all in.

Ah, the feelings that can come back with just the glimpse of a photo… it’s refreshing!
.-= ShannonL´s last blog ..MLB: Mommy Loves Baseball =-.

I enjoy looking back at old pictures too. And with them the memories they bring. I sometimes long for the me in them, but often, just grateful I had those moments in the first place.
.-= Justine´s last blog ..He left me for a hottie =-.

6512 and growing writes

I love how a picture can capture a whole slice of time. Priceless.
.-= 6512 and growing´s last blog ..The vortex of summer =-.

It’s a beautiful photo, Jen. One that says “free” and strong, and connected. What could be better than that?
.-= BigLittleWolf´s last blog ..My son, the factory worker =-.

Corinne writes

I like this too.
Those snippets of your memory.
Maine.
I love it all :)
.-= Corinne´s last blog ..Ivory =-.

Eva @ Eva Evolving writes

Jen, thank you for sharing this photo and letting us in on the memories it carries.

I love how you describe the photo reminding you “Of all that came before and how crucial it all is to what we are now. To who we are.” Such a great perspective, such a lovely inspiration to go home and look at some old photos of my husband and I. To think how far we’ve come, yet how some things never change.
.-= Eva @ Eva Evolving´s last blog ..Bringing that vacation happiness home =-.

Marilyn writes

That’s a wonderful load of memories attached to that picture.
.-= Marilyn´s last blog ..This is Not a Cigarette: Wednesday of Few Words =-.

Aging Mommy writes

Lovely photo and lovely memories. Maine is one place I very much hope to visit one day.

Meagan writes

I really like the picture. I like too the story you remember around it. There is something so powerful in the photos, the songs, the rush of a familiar smell that brings back a moment in time that is indeed past and present.
.-= Meagan´s last blog ..Life is Messy =-.

Kelly writes

I agree. You look so ready and willing for … anything. And the setting is absolutely gorgeous.
.-= Kelly´s last blog ..The Return =-.

becca writes

It IS a great picture. That says so much even without all of the fabulous word you use to describe it. I feel relaxed and at peace just looking at it. Beautiful.

Amanda writes

I love it for the window to a time before blogging and parenting—a you I’ll never know. Beginning to be as beautiful as now ;)
.-= Amanda´s last blog ..Can it be? =-.

Shawna writes

I could just be especially teary today. It happens. But I really needed this introspection, this moment of remembering who you were in relation to who you are and liking all the parts of YOU. Even when they were wrapped up in sadness and loss. I love your photo too.
.-= Shawna´s last blog ..Tuesday =-.

Belinda Munoz + The Halfway Point writes

Thanks for the gorgeous glimpse into the pre-Momalom.com you. I love the title of this post. Glimpse. Pause. Reflect. It reminds me that there is a wonderful alternative to Blur. Rush. Judge. the state that many of our days are in.

Elizabeth (@claritychaos) writes

Jen, I love this post. Several months ago, maybe even a year? I went through some photo albums. My husband and I did a lot of roadtripping and camping pre-kids (still do a bit, but you know it’s different) and looking at those pictures made me love him more. They reminded me of the way I used to look at him, and they reminded me of who I was pre-kids. Which, like you said – I still am. We built what we have now from what we had/were then.

This is so lovely. You’ve inspired me to dig out the albums again. Maybe even do a little scanning. :)
.-= Elizabeth (@claritychaos)´s last blog ..starfish =-.

Heather of the EO writes

I love how you took us back with you and shared the details of a time from “before.” This magically brought forth a little more of what your heart and mind look like, and that’s always a gift to us.
.-= Heather of the EO´s last blog ..All {Gussy}eeed Up – A Giveaway =-.

Liz @ Peace, Love & Guacamole writes

Oh this makes me want to go through old photo albums right now…because I’m certain I have an almost identical photo in Colorado that would bring back some amazing pre-kid memories. I love the idea that those moments helped build what we have now. Thank you for this reminder!
.-= Liz @ Peace, Love & Guacamole´s last blog ..Artificial intelligence =-.

Maureen@IslandRoar writes

I love how a photo can do all that. Capture so much more than a mere physical moment in time.
.-= Maureen@IslandRoar´s last blog ..Making My Mark =-.

rebecca @ altared spaces writes

When husband takes the camera and marks the memory…Ahhh. I love that. It says I love you as well as a really soft, wet kiss.

Your body language says just as much as the expression we only get a glimpse of … freedom, introspection, hope, looking forward.
.-= Stacia´s last blog ..Home Alone =-.

Yes. Looking forward. I didn’t think of that. But to know now what I did have to look forward makes it even more special. Thanks, Stacia!
.-= Jen´s last blog ..Glimpse. Pause. Reflect. =-.

ck writes

This was a beautiful post, Jen. Your words and photo made me feel peaceful and very relaxed. They also made me start a mental slideshow, knowing somewhere I must have a photo like that…

I like that picture even more now after I’ve read the description!!
.-= Tiffany´s last blog ..It’s Official…We Had the Best =-.

I have a wall of photos like that…pics that I love because they make me remember a feeling or a moment in time.
.-= Liz´s last blog ..Greasy cheeseburgers + salty fries + ice cream = Unexpected joy =-.

Cranky Sarah writes

That is a wonderful picture and a wonderful idea. I need to dig up some photos of Joe and I from when we started out, too. Maybe I’ll remember some of the magic.
.-= Cranky Sarah´s last blog ..Almost there =-.

Those are the best types of pictures; ones that capture a moment without thought, just feeling.

Thank you for sharing with us!
.-= Maria´s last blog ..You lift me up… =-.