April 13, 2012

Bowled over. Over the moon. Overwrought.

I read this book last weekend.

I want to read it again.
But I have to return it
to the library around the corner.

I love our little, neighborhood library.

I visit and then bring home
a piece of the bigger world
that starts me thinking new thoughts
and experiencing reverberations in my gut
that propel me full speed ahead
toward paper, pen: ideas written down.

When is the last time reading
changed your life, your thinking, you?

(Read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green)

Read More in Jen Writes, three kids, writing
Amanda writes

Two Sundays ago I was sick, sick, sick. Sean took the kids and left me to rest in bed all day. I devoured a James Patterson book, nothing groundbreaking in the book, but the return to a whole day spent burying my nose in a book was revelatory.

Parenting has sapped my belief that I can afford to take hours to read. I miss it and I think I need to find the time. This post is another gentle nudge back to book-wormism.

The hours are so well spent, for me. Though I rarely give in and allow myself the time. I read this book in two huge gulps, staying up past midnight one night. I had to force myself to turn off the light. I felt like a kid. But the story hit the adult in me hard.

amy writes

Maybe i’ll take a walk down to that lovely little, neighborhood library and pick up The Fault in Our Stars. I just also devoured a book that turned my inside out – and that feels good sometimes.

Full disclosure. I got the book from inter-library loan. :) But I picked it up at our friend Lilly! Miss seeing you around…

Christine @More Than Mommies writes

I’m adding this to my must read list! So many books, so little time…

It’s definitely a must read. It’s also a fast read! I’d love to hear what you think. Keep me posted.

L.Shanna writes

Just finished this last week. LOVED it, and can’t wait to read it again.

I’m planning to buy it tomorrow. I gave myself a while to fight impulsiveness. (Impulsivity?) But I still can’t stop thinking about it. To the bookstore I go!

Well now I’m going to have to get a copy, aren’t I? I can’t just read a rave like that and not read it…

Do. Indeed. And then let me know your thoughts/reactions/etc. I am IN AWE of the construction. (AWE!)

Sara writes

I love losing myself in a book. I’m reading a lot about family of origins right now and the last 30 years of my life finally make a lot of sense

Now that is COOL! I could use some sense-making.

pattisj writes

I am changed bit by bit each day as I read the blogs of others, and another world opens before my eyes.

I love this. SO TRUE!

Jane writes

I have a love/hate relationship with our library. Love the endless supply of books, the cozy fireplace (yes! It’s crazy! Our library has a reading nook with a fireplace!) to curl up with my finds, the ability to request just about any book you can think of and they’ll find it for you and let you borrow it. But that’s where the hate comes in – I find a treasured book, I read it and love it and then I have to give it back. Sigh.

I know what you mean, Jane. Totally. But I love the unlimited aspect of the library. My kids can come home with PILES of books. And they do. And we all are so happy. (But sometimes, well, I need to own a book. And in fact, I’m planning to buy TFiOS tomorrow. Too good not to own.)

Rachelle writes

I love this! I had a prompt asking students how reading had changed their lives. Most said it had not. It’s so unfortunate to know they’ve not found something to make them love reading, love words, or love living vicariously through text.

I can’t imagine reading NOT changing my life. Reading changes my life every day. No joke. (And, OH! I think I’ve just stumbled onto a 5for5 post idea! THANKS!)

Shawna writes

My kindred spirit! Remind me who your favourite author is. I am not familiar with his work and think that I probably need to be…

Wallace Stegner. Read “Crossing to Safety.” Do not pass go.
P.S. OMG. I adored your letter and sweet book/journal/idea keeper. You’re the best. :)

Okay, finished the book in no time at all and nearly lost myself in a puddle of tears on the train back from NYC. I DO think I need to reread it now, though, and pay special, careful attention to some certain parts about belonging and stars and meaning and such. My brain kind of hurts just thinking about the depths I could plunge. I think that’s definitely got to be post 5 for 5! :)

Great recommendation, sis, as always. Now I need another…

State of Wonder. Go.

Jo@Mylestones writes

I just finished that book, in less than 24 hours, the majority of which I should have been sleeping. Oh my. I haven’t loved and devoured a boom like that in I don’t know how long….